Treatment of Red Painful Pimple on Penile Shaft
We all are aware of acne and pimples on face, chest and back. Pimples can grow anywhere on the skin surface having oil glands. The penile shaft is not exempted from this, because that part also contains skin. Pimples that grow in the penile area can cause mixed emotions, mostly that of panic and fear. This is because many men may mistakenly interpret pimples on shaft of penis as a sexually transmitted disease. In fact, pimples on penis are harmless. They are caused due to over activity of the tiny oil glands situated on the penile skin.
However, it would be wise to consult a dermatologist when a skin lesion develops on the penis. This is because there are several other conditions, such as sexually transmitted disease that needs to be ruled out. There may usually not be more than 1 to 3 pimples at a time on the penile shaft. They do not develop in clusters. Usually, pimples on the penile shaft are self-limiting, it disappears on its own sometimes even without treatment.
Red Pimple on Penile Shaft
However embarrassing the situation, pimples can grow on the penis because it has skin.
Pimples on penis usually occur during the teenage years and in the twenties, the budding age when the skin oil glands are very active. However, there are also incidences of elderly men suffering from pimples on the penile shaft. Most of the time, it develops as a single lesion, at most there may be one or two more. It is rare to find a group of pimples on male genitalia. The reason for development of pimple on the shaft of penis is just the same as on face and trunk. It is due to clogged skin pores or infected clogged pores. In most cases, pimples vanish over a period of time or as the person grows.
When red pimples appear on the shaft of a penis, it is important to remember some simple tips:
- Never attempt to pick or burst the acne to avoid further irritation. Bursting it may take the acne longer to heal and hence will remain on the shaft for a while.
2. Avoid foods that can trigger the acne especially if the acne seems to be recurring. Avoid spicy food, meat, drink more water and increase the intake of green vegetables and fruits.
3. Keep the penile area clean to hasten the process of healing of the acne.
4. Exercise caution by avoiding sexual contact for as long as the acne is still present.
How to Treat Painful Pimple on Penile Shaft
Pimples on the penis usually respond to the same medicine that acts upon pimples on other areas of the body.
Before starting the treatment for pimple on penile shaft, it is important to rule out sexually transmitted disease.
- Have the pimple checked for any possibility of it being a symptom of a sexually transmitted disease. Usually, pimple-like formations that appear in clusters or resemble a rash are more likely to be a STD than a pimple.
2. Once a STD is ruled out, the pimple can be treated. It is essential to treat pimples on the penis especially when it is painful. A painful pimple may be discomforting for the patient, especially when he wears tight fitting undergarments or during intercourse.
3. Cystic types of acne on the penis can be treated by allowing the pus to drain out on its own. Never attempt to pick or prod open cystic acne because this will only increase the risk of infection and scarring.
4. To drain cystic acne, place a warm and moist cloth over the area.
5. If there is associated swelling and redness, apply an ice-pack for a few minutes, two to three times a day.
6.You can also apply calendula officinalis ointment or mother tincture. The herb acts on many skin ailments due to its antibacterial and astringent qualities. Before applying any herbal preparation or any other medicine, it is important to consult your doctor since the skin of penile shaft is sensitive compared to other areas of the body.
7. More often than not, proper hygiene is needed for the acne to resolve on its own.